Candle-power: Using candles to enhance the atmosphere of your bathroom
Whether you’re looking to create a touch of romance in your bathroom or completely escape into a night of bathtub therapy, the flickering light and warm glow of candles are the perfect ingredient for creating a relaxing atmosphere.
How do you choose the perfect candles to suit the mood in your bathroom? From the look to the smell and the overall presentation, we have a few tips to help you set the scene.
Beyond creating a pleasant ambience, candles can bring a stylish flair to your bathroom – even when they’re not lit.
With a vast range of designs to choose from, it’s easy to find the perfect match to suit your taste:
- If you have a traditional bathroom: Opt for candles that have a classic look. Creamy white models, in a variety of sizes, always look elegant. Look for candle in a glass designs for effortless simplicity.
- If you have a shabby-chic bathroom: Candles can add earthy ambiance to a boho design scheme. Mix and match different colours and patterns – the Paddywax Boheme range includes a variety of fun and creative styles.
- If you have an ultra-modern bathroom: Add some organic light to your contemporary bathroom. The metallic finish of the Foundry by Paddywax range has a sophisticated, industrial quality that really suits a modern bathroom.
- If you have a boutique bathroom: It’s all about the details! Add a hint of fun with a pop of colour – the Max Benjamin range has a rainbow of choice, from creamy pastels to crayon-like hints.
- If you have a vintage bathroom: Candles can be a key ingredient for creating a throwback atmosphere. Pair traditional candles with Paddywax’s antique-inspired Apothecary range to add vintage texture and colour to your décor scheme.
Scented candles can instantly transform the atmosphere of your bathroom, and choosing a specific aroma is like incorporating an invisible accessory.
- Elegant scents for a traditional bathroom: Add luxurious scents to your bathroom: Max Benjamin’s French linen and Victorian Earl Grey are both vintage and classy – worthy of any gentlewoman’s powder room.
- Earthy scents for a shabby-chic bathroom: Bring the refreshing aromas of the great outdoors into your bathroom with natural,
- organic-inspired fragrances such as fig, vetiver, bamboo and green tea – all of which can be found in the Eco Green by Paddywax range.
- Exotic scents for an ultra-modern bathroom: Invite a touch of adventure into your bathroom with scents collected from all corners of the earth. The Abahna range pairs unexpected combinations like frangipani and orange blossom, or white grapefruit and may chang, allowing you to feel like you’re in faraway places while you’re brushing your teeth.
- Classic scents for a boutique bathroom: Heyland & Whittle’s range of classic scents includes feminine aromas like jasmine and lilac, wild lemongrass and cherry blossom, which are both pleasant and subtle: perfect for adding a layer of sweetness to a sophisticated design scheme.
- Rustic scents for a vintage bathroom: Scent can trigger memory, and choosing musky, robust aromas like tobacco and patchouli or rosemary and sea salt can bring a sense of comfort and nostalgia to your bathroom.
Choosing the style and scent is only half the journey – deciding where and how to place candles in your bathroom is the final step to finishing off your ambient retreat.
- Traditional bathroom – strength in numbers: Concentrate the glow and place candles in varying sizes next to each other on side tables, windowsills and ledges. Light one cluster of candles to create a low-key atmosphere, or let the whole room glow with multiple displays.
- Shabby-chic bathroom – mix and match: Mix a selection of fun tealight holders with your candles and scatter them at varying heights around the room for an artistic and carefree effect.
- Ultra-modern bathroom – use your mirrors: Double the impact of your candles by placing them near a bathroom mirror. And in a modern washroom, the striking contrast of Nordal’s metal candle holders would look especially dramatic reflected in a mirror. Even on their own the holders can act like a piece of modern art.
- Vintage bathroom – baskets and jars: Place your candles within larger, non-flammable accessories to create an antique-shop vibe in your bathroom. Wire baskets and glass jars make great holders for single and multiple candles, and can add a dramatic effect to the room with interesting shadows.
- Boutique bathroom – nooks and crannies: Place single candles in different locations around your bathroom, such as near the basin and on top of storage units to add a flickering suggestion of cheer to every corner of the room.
Candles are a great way to create an atmosphere that looks, feels and smells beautiful. Perfect for when you’re relaxing in the tub, or when you just fancy a cheerful boost, there’s definitely a candle – or a whole range of them – to suit the style of your bathroom!
P.S. A note about safety
Candles are a sure-fire way to bring warmth and serenity to your bathroom, but it’s important you use them carefully to avoid any dangerous mishaps:
- Ensure they are out of reach of children and pets
- Keep them away from flammable items
- Don’t leave a live flame alone
- For candles that aren’t in a container, keep an eye out for dripping wax
If candles aren’t an option for you, check out our range of fragrance diffusers to add style and scent to your bathroom.